Monday, March 7, 2011

CASA Volunteer



Today I start my 30 hours of training to be a CASA volunteer. I've wanted to do this for many years, I am so happy to be able to finally do this. I am want to work with 'emancipating teens', teenagers aging out of the system - turning 18. I guess in CA, the governor signed something where they can stay in until they are 21, I don't know what the criteria is. The CASA person I spoke to said a lot of them don't want to stay, they want to just get out and move on.

Working with Foster Kids is important to me. Its a really difficult situation for them for the most part, and I used be a foster parent back in the mid - 90's, so I kind of know how this works. It had a really big impact on me. I'd like to do more with CASA, but I have to get in and see how they run. This ought to be very interesting :D

No comments: